Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Christine's side of the story (the short and no-so-sweet of it)

Castor oil was a success!! I labored from about 3pm on Saturday until Kamryn's delivery at 2:18pm on Sunday. Afterwards, I felt great. About an hour later, pain started setting in. At first I thought it was sciatic-related as I was getting shooting pains from the middle of my lower back all the way down my left leg. When it became apparent there was something more going on, the nurses called my midwife to report my symptoms. It turned out to be a vaginal hematoma compressing my sciatic nerve on left side. They shot me up with some groovy pain medication (St-something-ol...Treen, what was it again?) that made me loopy for a short time. It came on quickly and wore off quickly. After that wore off, they gave me percocet to sleep through the night. They kept checking the hematoma to see if it was getting better or worse. I felt much better Monday morning. The hematoma took care of itself...no intervention needed. If I could do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing. I'm so glad I was able to do it my way.

We left the hospital on Tuesday. Before today, I think I've maybe gotten 6 hours sleep total since Friday night. Early Tuesday morning I was able to sleep for a two-hour stretch...the most since Friday night. So, today I'm playing catch-up. I've been feeding Kamryn and sleeping. In fact, I should get off the blog and go rest right now while all is quiet.

Just one last thing...
Thanks to my friends and family for coming to see us in the hospital. I was so happy to see everyone. And, thank you for the well-wishes (calls and e-mails). If I'm not calling back or answering, I'm most likely catching up on some sweet, sweet sleep.

I love you all...

Sunday, October 15, 2006


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey dipilla's. glad you're home and getting back into your routines. thanx so much for indulging me my last minute visit. that little girl is one delicious peach and i am so glad i got to finally meet her! need to send those photos too.

*this is just for maddy:
hey there madison! congratulations on being a big sister. you don't know this, but i have 3 sisters. two older and 1 younger than me. she's 7 years younger than me. and guess which sister is my favorite? yup. my little sister is my favorite sister. i just know you and kamryn are going to be great buds. i think she has your lips/mouth. least that's what i see when i look at her. i wonder if she'll look like you as she gets older or if she'll look completely different than you? i can't wait to watch the two of you growing up together. your parents sure are lucky to have not just one, but now two beauties! congrats again. i know you're going to be a big help to mom and dad also. (cept for those stinky diapers....ugh) maybe you can be in charge of the wipes, cuz they smell better. ;0

xoxoxox
auntie april
a.k.a. the chicken lady