Saturday, March 10, 2007

Apartment Living

Ahhh...the joys of apartment living. I haven't written about it much, but it's wearing on all of us. Thank goodness it is almost over. We have lived in a first floor apartment for about 2 years now. At first, it wasn't so bad. But, lately...like, the past year or so...the neighbors above us have been less than considerate...and that's being generous. There are three adults living above us -- none of them has a 9-5 job. You would think knowing there is a newborn below them they would make an attempt to be considerate, but no. It's steadily become unbearable. It's to the point where we are now sleeping in the living room just to get a good night's sleep because they tend to stomp around their bedroom, throw shoes and whatever else on the floor, and move furniture (or at least that's what it sounds like). And it doesn't matter what time of day or night it is, but usually it takes place on and off from 10-11 at night to 5-6 in the morning. They also seem to go out of their way to batter their front door against our shared wall before slamming it shut hard enough to shake the walls nearly every time one of them goes in or out. Things have flown off of the shared wall b/c of the force of slamming. Occasionally, they also like to play loud music at different times of the day and night. Thursday, I could hear their radio over my vacuuming...that is how ridiculous it is. The slamming and stomping startles our children and me at various times throughout the day on a daily basis...and even Mike from time to time. I feel on edge constantly here.

THANKFULLY we will be moving out on April 21st. We will still be renting, but in a neighborhood...a real neighborhood with decent people -- mainly homeowners. I was NOT going to live in another apartment or rental community again if I could help it. Our children deserve better and so do we. I just want to thank my mom and step-dad for vouching for our character and enabling us to move our family to a better situation and my friends who offered support, advice, and a helping hand. You have all been amazing.

No comments: