Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Maddie's Birthday Week

Madison had a birthday party this past Saturday. As usual, I was doing last minute phone call invites. This time, though, it was for reasons beyond my control. Mike and I decided this year would be a very small gathering of Madison's grandparents and her immediate aunts and uncles the Saturday after her birthday (Jan 4th). I let my parents and brother and sisters know a week ahead of time and patted myself on the back.

On her birthday, my Aunt Joann called to wish her great-niece a happy birthday, as she does every year. Madison mentioned to her that she was having a party on Saturday. Feeling foolish and ashamed, I grabbed the phone and explained the situation and invited her to stop over. Starting to worry a little and doubt my idea to make things smaller this year, the phone rings again. This time it's my Aunt Terry calling to wish Madison a happy birthday, as SHE does every year. Once again, Madison mentions her birthday gathering. Grabbing the phone, I go through explaining to Aunt Terry and invite her over. Now I'm anxious. I just invited 2 of my 3 aunts over. I'll need to get on the phone asap and invite the third over along with my uncle otherwise I'll be the family jackass. And, if I'm going to invite MY aunts and uncles, I'd better invite my cousins. I know my feelings would be hurt for being left out. So, I call them and explain. My cousin, Kim, laughed about the situation and gave me some good advice for throwing an inexpensive birthday party. I needed this since we tend to go overboard with food and drink every time we have a party.

It was a nice time and I won't be trying to cut the list back in the future. I can't complain about us not feeling like a family anymore and then turn around and invite only my immediate family. Next year, though, we'll be doing something small at Chuck E Cheese. Maddie has wanted to have her party there for the past 2 years and we figure it won't be much longer before she's not interested anymore. And with school friends, you can get away with doing something small. :)

Saturday, January 6, 2007




Some more pics of Kams
Thursday, December 28, 2006


No comments: