This morning, as usual, I put Kamryn down for a nap. Although it was a little early for her, I figured she needed it. She and Madison spent Saturday night over my parents' house. It was common for one or both of them to need extra sleep after being somewhere else. And since I was still recovering from the weekend myself, about half an hour later, when Madison left for the bus stop, I laid down to read. I figured I might get in another hour at the most of some quiet time before Kamryn woke up again.
I couldn't believe it when the sound of my phone ringing woke me up at around 11:30 am. I figured she had probably fallen asleep around 9:00 am. Two and a half hours! Wow. I found my phone in the bathroom and, while answering it, tuned in to hear what was going on in Kamryn's room. She was talking happily, quietly, to herself. Hm. She must have just woken up. Not too unusual, I thought. I ended the phone conversation, promising my client I'd call her back in about 10 minutes from my office up the road, and headed into Kamryn's room.
The stench hit me as soon as I opened the door. "Phew! Kamryn, did you poo-?", I started. The scene took a second longer to sink in. There she was, sitting in the middle of her crib in just her shirt. Her jeans were off to one side in the crib. Her diaper, full of poop, was right in front of her upside down. I didn't need to see it to know how full it had been. It...was...everywhere. I stood, frozen for a second. O.M.G.
She reached out her little brown hands to me and said, "Poopy, yeessss." I hesitated to even put the crib bars down to get her out. She had smeared poop all over the bars of the crib. As I glanced about the crib in disgust, it quickly got a clear sense of which stuffed animals she really liked playing with and which ones she really didn't touch. Either way, I thought, everything in there is getting washed. Twice.
I don't know what happened next, but I started to move. I started pulling everything out of the crib and putting it in the bathroom. Next, I drew a lukewarm, shallow bath and plopped her in it. I rinsed her down, drained the tub, and washed her again -- this time, standing up using the shower head to rinse her. After she was dressed, I sprayed the tub down with bleach, wrapped up the soiled linens and stuffed animals and brought them to the basement for washing.
Remembering I told my client I'd call her back in 10 minutes from the office, I left the crap on the crib bars (Ugh. I know.), loaded Kam up and drove out to the office. There, I made my follow-up calls and quickly headed home to finish cleaning.
On the ride home, I was replaying the fecal discovery in my mind. Darn, I thought. It would have been great if I had had thought to grab the camera and take pictures, like the time I caught Madison playing with her baby powder. I started smiling. Then, I got a flash of us sitting around looking fondly at a picture of Kamryn, naked from the waist down, brown war paint on face, arms and legs, hands that look like they'd been working in clay, sitting in a poop-smeared crib holding a little stuffed hippo that looked like it had rolled in the mud. I quickly shook my head and grimaced. No. She'll thank me for not having taken pictures of her with poop smeared across three of her cheeks.
I have to laugh. It's three hours later and I'm still not done washing all of the soiled linens. So, how was your day? *grin*
Tuesday, April 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
OH..........MY.........
WHAT THE?????????
I am glad you didn't tqke pictures! Reminds me of the time Danny did this! all OVER crib and wall!!
I guess before she goes for a nap OR nightime sleep, we'll ALL hafta check her diaper.I would've died had that happened here. I would've thrown everything out, myself, cuz i wouldn't have been able to handle washing them.
Love, MeMom
Ah I know the feeling not fun :/ you shouldve taken pics for later use of black male embarrassment!lol Hope you had a great Mother's day!!
just getting around to reading this. i lol'd. what mother cannot relate? kalen did the EXACT same thing. and no. i did not think to look for the camera @ that moment either. hell, it was all i could do to breathe and remain standing! ugh! gross does not even begin to cover it.
Post a Comment