The first one is her behavior at school. Yes, she's an excellent student...very bright. But, she is having a problem keeping her mouth quiet at school. Every week, each student brings home a progress report outlining their behavior. And although she usually has positive feedback like "participates in class", "always prepared", "well-behaved all week"...for the past month, the teacher has also checked off "talkative" under "Needs Improvement". Now, on one hand, I feel somewhat guilty. Almost like it's in her genes and it's my fault because *I* used to bring home the exact same kind of reports: "Christine is an excellent student...blah, blah...but she talks too much in class." I don't recall my parents coming down hard on me for it. But,maybe they should have. On the other hand, I know she can do it. She brought home glowing progress reports for two months prior to Christmas break, without any mention of being talkative during class so she's just not trying hard enough. Or, we're not doing something right.
Anyway, for the past month each time she brought home a progress report with a "talkative" comment, we'd punish her. First it was no TV. She seemed to adapt well to that, however and took a liking to listening to RadioDisney and playing with her toys instead of watching TV. So, the next week when she brought home another report with a "talkative" comment, we took away listening to music. That didn't work either because the next week there was yet another "talkative" comment. Anyway, it's now to the point where she can't watch TV or listen to music, she has to go to bed an hour early and can only read books. Mike even went so far as to demand that she raise her hand to talk from the time she gets home from school every day until she goes to bed. And, once again, she's adapting. Nothing seems to affect her.
There's also the issue of her room. I can't get her to keep it clean. I know a lot of parents have this problem. Believe me, I'm no neat freak but, to me, it's disgusting. And I can't get her to pick up after herself or put things back where they belong when she's done. We've, again, tried taking priviledges away. It's to the point where she can't do a thing but eat, sleep or go to the bathroom unless her room is clean. Between her room and the progress reports, the only thing the poor kid could do was read. And, she didn't seem to mind one bit. I'm letting her play with things only if her room is neat and she doesn't have other toys all over the living room. That seems to be working well. But my gosh it's exhausting to have to watch her like a hawk because she's constantly "forgetting" the rules. I feel like a jail warden. I may have selective memory, but I don't recall my room being a pigsty all the time. Maybe it was at that age and I just don't remember. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments? I'd love to hear from you.
on to Kamryn...she is getting so big. We've put away all of her 0-3 month clothes and have even had to put away some of her 3-6 months. Mike and I wonder if she'll be even taller than Maddy. I don't have current height/weight info yet. She hasn't seen the doctor since December...she's due for her 4-month checkup soon, though. She is getting more and more vocal by the day. She's been giving little giggles here and there but this weekend we got some great belly laughs from her. She loves it when you blow raspberries on or kiss her feet and belly. And she is super-active...we call her MoMo...or Connie MoMo for constant motion. Pop-pop DiPilla says Michael used to be like that. She's also got a little temper on her, too. She's usually sweet as can be, but won't hesitate to growl or yell when she wants something or gets frustrated. Believe it or not, as emotional as Maddy is, she was a pretty happy baby (at least, that's what I remember). It makes me think that we're in trouble with this one. Heh heh...and as I write this, Kam is smiling in her sleep.
I caught Madison last week making up a song for Kamryn. The video is below. The lighting is awful (I was trying to hide the fact that I was filming from Madison so she didn't start hamming it up.) but you can hear the song...and Kamryn's reactions. And, there's another video of Kamryn just being Connie MoMo. Enjoy!
Wednesday, January 31, 2007
Saturday, February 10, 2007
Monday, February 12, 2007
4 comments:
Could Maddy be bored in her class? if she's doing well...perhaps the lessons aren't holding her attention......?
as far as the room deal...my 14 year old step-daughter is a sow! i was a sow at that time.
my girlfriend has said to her kids "if you can't take care of it, you can't keep it." they learned quickly when toys, clothes and other necessities were taken away...and then slowly re-introduced.
as a teacher, we put focus on the positives- a reward system, perhaps...points for certain good comments regarding her behaviors on her weekly reports lend themselves to a reward system at home. instead of focusing on bad, bad, bad, turn the focus to GOOD, GOOD, GREAT!
Great advice, both of you. I'll do both. Without making a big deal out of it, I'll just put away things I see laying all over the place. And, when she does good things...praise her up. I think I'll talk to the teacher about giving her busy work...even if she brings in some of the workbooks she has at home to do during downtime at school. Thanks! MWAH!
as always, I'm little behind, but I had to respond to the Maddy issues. I totally agree w/both comments, however, I'm afraid if you pick up after her w/o making her do it then she'll depend on you to always pick up after her. like EVERYTHING in life.. there's a fine line! I have to admit that I was EXACTLY like her at that age.. with the talking AND messiness! Perhaps make "clean up time" quality time together? Mommy/Maddy time. I SO agree with the *positive* reinforcement! Then again, Badness is always looking on the bright side of things! (thankfully! it's a refreshing reality check!);) that's why I love turning to her for advice. :)
As far as the talking issue.. let me know if that works, b/c I'm terrified that I will have the same issue w/ my own kids!! I was the *worst*! Infact, I still get into trouble for talking too much!;)
Post a Comment